Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What do you call the type of accent we see in the majority of american blockbuster movies?

is it standard american?

is leo di caprio's accent standard american in inception?

what about angelina jolie's accent?

i'm sure she doesn't have a valley girl one.

cheersWhat do you call the type of accent we see in the majority of american blockbuster movies?I don't think the general American accent has a name, but it is most often associated with the area around Ohio, Pennsylvania, and upstate New York. This would be what most news casters try to sound like. Except Barbra Walters, I'm not sure what is up with her accent.



Vally Girl is a broad idea in which the individual (mostly women) end all sentences with an upwards inflection. It mimics the inflection usually reserved for asking a question. It also gives the impression that the individual speaking in a standard Vally Girl manner is stupid (because it is usually true, but assess on a case by case basis).



The most difficult problem I have found with the Vally Girl speech pattern is my attempt to answer their statements. When they prattle on about mindless crap and state "I like puppies" (or some such) it sounds much like "I like puppies?" as if they just woke up from a coma and are learning new things about themselves all the time. I often want to answer "Yes, you like puppies", but experience has shown me this is not the way to interact with these people. Instead, I stare at their **** or, in the case of sub-par ****, I walk away. It is advised that all men do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment